5 Library Blogs to Follow
Aside from this lovely blog, you may be wondering where you can read up on the latest library news, keep up with the latest tech trends, or where to find fantastic book reviews. Aside from the usual suspects of SLJ and YALSA’s The Hub (if you aren’t already checking these on a regular basis, it’s a good idea), there are some great bloggers out there who make it a point to write posts on a variety of topics relevant to the library profession.
Here are a list of links you should check out to see if they fit your needs/interests:
- Teen Librarian Toolbox – If you work with teens, this blog will inspire you! Whether you are a Young Adult Services librarian or School Media Specialist on the secondary level, there are so many great aspects to explore. Sponsored by SLJ (School Library Journal), there are bibliographies, programming suggestions, book reviews, author interviews, and so much more. As an extra bonus, be sure to follow them on Pinterest (I’ve gotten a lot of my programming ideas from there) and Twitter.
2. The Unquiet Librarian – Author Buffy J Hamilton offers up some of the best school media specialist advice out there! Her experiences of working with students in clever ways offer a powerful glimpse into the profession of school librarian. If you’re considering working in schools, this blog is sure to educate and delight.
3. YA Book Blog Directory – Do you LOVE book reviews? Do you want to stay apprised of the latest book releases? This blog directory offers one-stop shopping for those who want to delve into book review blogs but are not sure where to begin. You could spend days exploring them (and I have!).
4. The Daring Librarian – Offering tips on everything from creating a Makerspace cart to creating an extraordinary Twitter profile, blogger Gwyneth A Jones uses lots of colorful infographics and photos. Her fun, visual way of relaying information makes her blog fun to read and enlightening.
5. Library Journal – Lastly, this wonderfully professional site with blog postings covers topics like the evolution of librarianship, top skills for librarians, and brand-new jobs for today’s librarians. Checking this site frequently is the best way to stay on top of emerging trends in the library world – even ones you wouldn’t learn in school.